Jolene's World: Party aftermath (companion to videos #10, #11, & #12)
ASHLEY'S Break-up:
The morning after the party where I learned that my fiancé Darrel was married to Chen, I tried to arrange a meeting to confront him with this fact, and as gently as possible, break our engagement. I sent him a text asking him to meet up with me at Mayberry Glen because we has some important things to discuss. The jerk had the nerve to text back: "I don't want to do that right now."
That was the last straw! Not only did he ignore me at the party last night and showered his attention on every other girl that was there, but now he won't even meet to talk with me! So I responded with, "Well if that's how you feel about spending time with me. Let me tell you here: THE WEDDING IS OFF! So long, sucker!" Then I went to break the news to my friends and family that the wedding was cancelled.
I ran into Jolene down by the park and broke the news. Jolene sympathized with me and offered to speak to her sister Kathy back in Sagehen Mesa about letting me stay with her awhile and heal up, but I'm so close to graduating, I decided to at least finish up my schooling first. Then I might just take Jolene up on her offer. A fresh start in a new place might be just what I need.
Then I went to see my parents and sisters. It was late, my parents were out, and my youngest sister Candice had already turned in for the night. But Betty was still up, and she's the one I wanted to talk to first, so it all worked out.
Betty was very supportive, and we adjourned to the hot tub to wait for our parents to get home.
We heard them at the front door and called down that I had some important news. Dad said it could wait until morning and went straight to bed, but Mom came upstairs to see why I was at their place at such a late hour.
I explained the situation and told her the wedding was off. She didn't see that surprised. She told me she had expected there was more to Darrel and Chen's relationship in light of our previous conversation after Bea's party.
"Don't fret dear. Someday your prince will come. I had to kiss a lot of frogs before I met your father," she said.
I have been thinking, why don't you pack your bags and come with us to Betty's upcoming pageant? It might get your mind off things."
Oh, Mom's here. I was supposed to meet her here for our weekly date. Now I remember. Here comes Chen!
"As a matter of fact, I did. I'd like to take you to lunch, daughter-in-law. It seems we have a lot to discuss. Can I call you tomorrow and we'll make arrangements? It will just be us Buzzerby women."
Gustave was a charmer, but when Bea tried to see if he had money, by sharing her own financial struggles with him, he offered no help.
Then she found out he was married - and a horrible dancer despite being a skilled musician.
Better luck next time, Bea.
********************************************************************************
Darrel hoped to smooth things over with his friends, now that he knew why they were so distant and never responded to any of his texts after leaving Winner's Gulch, so he decided to throw a party and clear the air.
The party went well, but he had a rough day at work and was exhausted. He forgot the reason he was throwing the party and went up to bed.
He had also invited Ashley, because he wanted to explain that he had no idea that he had married Chen.
She showed up, but avoided him until he went up to bed. She instead spent most of her time hanging out with Keith.
After all the other guests went home, Ashley decided to work on her business plan some more This was a quiet place to do so. The sorority house always had so much drama it was hard to concentrate. She has a desire to start her own architectural design business and remodel and furnish houses.
Darrel woke in the night and spotted her working just outside his yard. He decided this would be a good time to try and smooth things over with her.
When they parted, they weren't friends, but a lot of the animosity was gone.
********************************************************************************
CHEN:
Lately I've felt the pull of the ocean. I know that's strange. It's filled me with dread all my life since the day my parents drowned in a boating accident. I'm thinking though, that by avoiding it, I'm letting it keep its hold on me and feed my fears. I know my well-meaning friends, in their attempt to protect me, would discourage me from what I'm about to attempt. Still, I thought I should tell someone where I was going, so I called this woman Jolene, whom I met at the party. I think she's a friend of Ashley's.
I told her I was thinking of going snorkeling at Old Pier Beach and asked her if there had been any reports of sea monsters or other dangers since she's lived here. She assured me that there are no such dangers lurking in the water.
It was scary, but not a bad as I thought it would be.
I don't know what's going to happen with my marriage to Darrel, but I figure I can at least work on myself in the mean time.
There are times when I think it would be best to call it off, but then I remember the good times we've had together. Anyway, I'm looking into what it would take to become a lifeguard. I took a scuba diving class at the science center the other day, thinking exposure to my fears might diminish them. My instructor said there was a cutting-edge brain machine that was said to cure all kinds of mental disorders and phobias. But it's still in early trial phase and long-term affects have not yet been identified.
Nevertheless, I went to check it out.
I didn't have anything done about my hydrophobia. In fact, I would need to apply to be part of a study before they would attempt to cure me, but it got me to wondering if Darrel's memory issues could be cured.
Darrel's mother called and invited me out to a fancy lounge for lunch.
She acknowledged my feelings of embarrassment at having my new husband forget we got married and pleaded with me to give the marriage a chance. After all, we already took the leap. Maybe we just need to see where the leap takes us.
I told her I had just learned about some new hi-tech treatments that might help his memory loss, and if he agreed to apply for the study, I would give our marriage a chance. After all, he seems to be able to hold down his teaching job and is even thriving and getting promotions despite his affliction.
So that's how I left things. At least for now, I'll remain Mrs. Buzzerby.
Comments
Post a Comment